Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics


I was born in ’76 and I think that I still fall into the Millennials era only because I do love technology. “One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology.” (page 74). I actually have more gadgets than my kids and I show them how to use it at times. I think it’s because of the type of career that I am in that makes me have to be conscious to social media. I’m an Audio Engineer and student and it involves marketing, even on an industry level. Marketing my music forces me to be involved in social media. “Both the baby boomers and Gen Xers will one day be passing the reins to the Millennials (also called Generation Y or the echo boomers). Born between 1977 and 2000, these children of the baby boomers number 83 million, dwarfing the Gen Xers and larger even than the baby boomer segment. (page 73). “ This observation confirmed my justification because I’m a part of the Millennials. Even if I had a career that did not involve much social media, I believe I would still have a particular interest in technology. Within Generational Marketing (page 74) it is questioned: “Do marketers need to create separate products and marketing programs for each generation? Some experts warn that marketers need to be careful about turning off one generation each time they craft a product or message that appeals effectively to another.” I agree with this statement because it’s hard to predict what people will want and what age they will want it at. The demographics, cultural background, and race do play an unpredicted part in this decision. Good market feedback is vital; depending on the product. Smart phones are an example, because it is a common product but the applications that are downloaded can be separated into different categories, due to accessibility.

Citations: Marketing: An Introduction, 10th Edition; Armstrong & Kotler (2011). Marketing: An Introduction, 10th Ed. Prentice Hall Publishing                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment